CITY OF NEOSHO
PUBLIC WORKS SEASONAL LABOR
The purpose of this position is to provide a variety of work in the Public Works Dept.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives supervision from the Public Works Supervisor. Exercises no supervision.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES—Important responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Maintains streets, catch basins, storm drains, culverts, ditches.
- Operates power and hand tools to perform various public works maintenance duties.
- Removes trash and debris from ditches, right-of-way, city property and storm drains.
- Mows and trims ditches, right-of ways and city property
- Trims trees over sidewalks and streets for pedestrian and vehicle clearance.
- Removes spill, debris, and litter from street right-of-ways, street medians, and other areas adjacent to City facilities.
Other Important Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist in leaf pick up and disposal.
- Assist in street signing and pavement marking, including the installation of new signs
- Maintains city lawns, mows parks and streets, and trims trees.
- Inspects equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Adjust work schedule for emergency weather conditions.
- Perform a variety of semi-skilled maintenance, construction, and repair work in the area of work assigned.
- Operate a variety of vehicular and stationary mechanical equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Perform a variety of manual tasks for extended periods of time and in unfavorable weather conditions.
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Follow all safety rules and regulations of the Public Works Department.
- Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for:
- Making observations
- Communicating with others
- Traveling to various work locations
- Operating and maintaining assigned equipment and vehicles
- Maintain mental capacity which permits:
- Making sound decisions and using good judgment
- Determining and avoiding dangerous situations
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include the following:
- Walking, standing, bending, or crouching for extended periods of time
- Lifting or moving moderate to heavy weights
- Working under harsh weather conditions
- Operating assigned equipment and vehicles
- Effectively handle a work environment and work conditions which involve:
- Exposure to dust and dirt
- Inclement weather conditions
- Working closely with others
- High levels of noise
- Confined spaces
- Chemical hazards
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINES
High School diploma or equivalent. Driver’s License.
Travel from site to site; field environment; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, odors, and inclement weather conditions; work around heavy construction equipment.
Essential and other important duties and responsibilities may require maintaining a physical condition necessary for walking, standing, bending, pushing, crawling, crouching, and lifting heavy objects for prolonged periods of time; and the operation of motorized equipment and vehicles.
Tools and Equipment
Tractors, chain saws, rakes, shovels, jackhammers, and a variety of power and hand tools.
- Must successfully complete pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Will be subject to random substance abuse testing.
- Will be subject to background investigation.
Contact : Please return original application to the Human Resources Department at City Hall. Call if you have questions or need assistance.
203 E. Main St. Neosho, MO
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled